St John’s C of E Primary School is committed to develop the provision for young carers and their families.
We will widen our provision, build on the needs of the young people and better meet young carers’ needs with a view to ultimately achieving best practice for all.
How we will achieve this:
· The whole school is committed to meeting the needs of young carers, so they can attend and enjoy school in the same way as other pupil/students and achieve their potential.
· Mr Davies has been appointed a designated Young Carers’ School Lead. Mrs Thompson and Mrs Wright are our Young Carer Champions, with responsibility for young carers and their families. Pupils and/or families are invited to contact them to access support. Further information can be found on the young carers’ noticeboard in school or on the Essex Young Carers’ website.
· The school only share information with professionals and agencies on a need to know basis in order to support pupils and their families.
· St Johns will actively seek feedback and ideas from young carers and their families to shape and improve support.
· The school has an effective referral system and a strong partnership in place with relevant external agencies. This includes a referral to the Young Carer agency, which provides key workers to work with young carers and their families.
We will strive to achieve best practice for students and families in our school in order to provide them with the best chance of success in their future.